Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Podcast Reflection: Ani Alexander Write to Be Read

Ani Alexander
I just finished lying on a deck in northern Michigan, soaking up the sun & listening to Ani Alexander’s Write to Read Podcast Episode #149.  For those of you who don’t know Ani or her podcast, she's a brilliant person who hosts a useful and inspiring podcast.  Yes, she has an accent.  Don’t let it phase you.  She brings a wealth of knowledge to the table, and if you’re like me, you’ll be picking up what she’s laying down so hard, that you won’t notice the accent after a while.  In Episode #149, Ani interviews Andrew O’Brien, founder of Patefactus and a master of gaining media exposure.  His tactics are all on the level and involve hard work and persistence.  No stunts, like getting two women to fight over a Sugarberry Ham (as Pete & Peggy do in Mad Men’s Season 4 premier).  The interview veers into some personal territory; O’Brien has some hard bark on him.  You’ll hear what I mean if you listen.  I was glad they went down that road because it contextualized O’Brien’s mission.  He labors under a higher purpose.  (Sidebar: Basic Income naysayers who say it will cause laziness, take note.)  He helps people who've suffered & survived trauma, war & combat vets mostly.  They didn’t go political, as the podcast sticks to making your way in the world today (a.k.a. really existing state-capitalism) as a writer/artist/small business person, but in my little anti-war heart, I hoped other courageous Iraq vets like Thomas Young had crossed O’Brien’s radar and left an imprint, as they have on me. 
Great podcast. 5/5. Hats off to Ani & Andrew.  
Stay tuned to the Fulcrum: I'm fixing to give a rundown of my five fave creative writing/literary podcasts soon.       

No comments:

Post a Comment